The Secret Passageways of The Pyramid
from “The Symbolic Prophecy of the Great Pyramid” First Edition 1936
H. Spencer Lewis, Ph. D. Imperator, Supreme Grand Lodge of A.M.O.R.C.
In addition to the secret passages, chambers, halls, and other features of the main or central part of the Pyramid which were for centuries unknown and still constitute a mysterious study, there have been traditions for many years about the other passageways in the Pyramid or beneath it which have not yet been fully revealed, and the passageways that lead to the Pyramid from nearby points. In any study of the Pyramid, the environs (landscape architecture) of the Pyramid is taken into consideration, including the Sphinx, the courtyard in front of the Sphinx, and the temple that adjoined the Sphinx and which has recently been excavated.
According to the traditions and to some of the mystical manuscripts with limited release in recent years, the Great Pyramid is but the central point or feature of a magnificent symbolical plot or section of Egypt that contains a mystery in each square yard of its surface. As with every other temple of mystery, there are stories, reports, and traditions which scientists deny and many so-called authorities ridicule. But in the past few centuries a number of these traditions have been lifted out of the category of mere mystical fiction into fact by the excavations that have taken place. For centuries there was a whispered story that there was a ceremonial court or courtyard in front of the Sphinx, buried beneath the sands, in which court initiation ceremonies were held prior to the entrance into the Pyramid.
For centuries geologists ridiculed this whispered story and likewise some historians along with many of the natives and officials of Egypt. However, in recent years the sand around and especially in front of the Sphinx has been removed revealing a very beautiful pavement of a courtyard between the paws and in front of the breast of the Sphinx, and in the center of this court, a symbolical altar that had no use in any of the priesthood religions of Egypt but was known to have its place in the temples of mystery for initiation ceremonies. Thus the sunlight has touched upon the ancient pavement by the removal of the sands, and the light of truth has confirmed one of the old traditions.
Another of the traditions was that a great movable stone or slab in front of the breast of the Sphinx, between its paws, blocked the entrance way to a secret passage that ran beneath the Sphinx and beneath the sands to the center of the Great Pyramid, and that this long passageway was the secret ceremonial passageway from the outer court in front of the Sphinx to the rising passageways and chambers in the Pyramid itself. Old stories told how this great stone with its symbolical writings, warnings, and laws for the initiate, would move mysteriously upon invisible hinges and open to the commands of candidates standing in the court, or in front of it, upon the oral recitation of the proper word. Then the candidates with the official torch-bearer and guardian would enter the passageway chanting, and as the last note of the chant sounded … the great stone door would silently move to a closed position and the world shut out behind again while the pilgrimage of initiates moved on, toward the Pyramid, beneath the sands of the desert, hidden from all the world, and in a soundless passage that was significant of the early period of the universe when the world was without sound.
Such stories, of course, rejected and scoffed but still they persist. The recently excavated temple adjoining the Sphinx was not believed to be in existence either, and now it is looked upon as the preparation chamber for the initiates before they entered the court in front of the Sphinx. As one looks down into the uncovered chambers of this temple adjoining the Pyramid, one wonders what other use there could have been for a subterranean temple, or any kind of temple, in this peculiar position along the ceremonial court of the Sphinx. Still scientists, historians, and officials scoff at the idea that it had anything to do with initiation ceremonies.
The great stone slab, firmly fixed against the breast of the Sphinx in front of the two paws, revealed and uncovered symbolical writings and warnings that can be interpreted in various ways, but certainly have significance to candidates of the mysteries and to the expectant observer. Whether that stone slab, huge in size and weight, is movable or not has not been determined, and whether there is a passageway behind it has not yet been conclusively determined.
Speaking of the impossibility of a huge stone of this size and weight moving of its own accord upon invisible hinges, let us not forget that there was one other court of mystery at one time where such things did occur. Heavy gates guarded the entranceway to this court and they could not be opened unless a sacred ceremony was held around the altar before them. Here, with fire burning upon the altar, and with the chanting of voices, at the crucial moment of the spiritual ritual, the huge gates automatically opened and the devotees then entered. Within the walls they found a temple there in the courtyard and fountains that would play with streams of water through the effect of music and chanting. Science investigated these mysteries and found that one master mechanic of the time, known as Heron of Alexandria, used some of the great knowledge of the laws of physics known to the Egyptian mystery schools and constructed many marvelous pieces of mechanism that operated through laws and principles rediscovered only in modern times by eminent scientists. Think also of Ed Leeskalnin and the coral castle.
If the great gates which Heron invented would move some mysterious way through natural laws, there is no reason for us to doubt a huge stone gate moving in the similar fashion before the Sphinx in Egypt.
There are still many stories told and many secret or private explanations, accompanied with diagrams and architectural designs, given about the passageways connecting the Sphinx with the Pyramid, and these give color to many strange incidents referred to in the secret writings of the Ancient Egyptians. Some of these underground passageways and their connections are shown in the accompanying diagrams.
Until greater excavations are made around the Pyramid and these passageways are actually revealed to the public and to the light of day so that they may be photographed and entered under special permission, their existence must remain as part of the traditions, for this is the law of the Mystery Schools of Egypt that are still in force. That which is not revealed to the public remains a traditional secret and the public is invited to accept the traditions or reject them as it may see fit.
The stronger the denial on the part of the various persons of authority on some of these secret passageways and temples, the stronger is one’s faith in their existence, for such also seems to be the law of human nature when dealing with things of this strange land.
Facts, Schematics, More
A Sphinx is a zoomorphic mythological figure which is depicted as a recumbent lion with a human head. It has its origins in sculpted figures of Old Kingdom Egypt, to which the ancient Greeks applied their own name for a female monster, the “strangler”, an archaic figure of Greek mythology. Similar creatures appear throughout South and South-East Asia, and the sphinx enjoyed a major revival in European decorative art from the Renaissance onwards.
The Great Sphinx of Egypt, the largest and best known Sphinx, lies near the Great Pyramid in the Giza Valley Plateau, situated about six miles west of Cairo. It is the largest single sculpted statue in the world, carved from the bedrock of the plateau.
The Sphinx is oriented due east facing the rising sun near the 30th parallel, and may well be the oldest monument on the Giza Plateau since long-term water weathering has been found in the great pit in which it lays.
The Western name “Sphinx” was given to it in antiquity based on the legendary Greek creature with the body of a lion and the head of a woman, though Egyptian sphinxes have the head of a man. The ancient Greek term itself is postulated to be a corruption of the ancient Egyptian Shesep-ankh. This name was applied to royal statues in the Fourth Dynasty, though it came to be more specifically associated with the Great Sphinx in the New Kingdom.
In medieval texts, the names balhib and bilhaw referring to the Sphinx are attested, including Egyptian historian Maqrizi, which suggest Coptic constructions. The Egyptian Arabic name Abul-Hol, which translates as Father of Terror, came to be more widely used.
No one is certain when the Sphinx was built nor what it represents, though many theories about its origin and purpose have been noted. It is commonly believed that the Sphinx was built by ancient Egyptians in the 3rd millennium BC. But I side with those like John Anthony West, and Robert Schock as to the dating of the Sphinx that extends far beyond the traditional Egyptological hypothesizes and postulates.
We do not known the name ancient Egyptians called the statue. It is referred to circa 1500 B.C.E. as Hor-em-akht – Horus in the Horizon, Bw-How Place of Horus and also as Ra-horakhty Ra of Two Horizons.
• Horus – Hours – the Place Where Time Began
• Horus – Horse – Horse Horsehead Nebula- Creation
Carved out of the surrounding limestone bedrock, the Sphinx is 57 meters (260 feet) long, 6 m (20 ft) wide, and has a height of 20 m (65 ft), making it one of the largest single-stone statues in the world. Blocks of stone weighing upwards of 200 tons were quarried in the construction phase to build the adjoining Sphinx Temple.
The Sphinx faces due east, with a small temple between its paws. The temple resembles the sun temples that were built later by the kings of the 5th Dynasty.
The first attempt,(speculation), to dig it out dates back to 1400 BC, when the young Tutmosis IV, falling asleep beneath the giant head, had a dream that he was promised the crown if he would only remove the sand from the Sphinx. The young prince immediately formed an excavation party which, after much effort, managed to dig the front paws out. To commemorate this effort, Tuthmoses IV had a granite stela known as the Dream Stela placed between the paws. Ramesses II may have also performed restoration work on the Sphinx.
In 1817 the first modern dig, supervised by Captain Caviglia, uncovered the Sphinx’s chest completely. The entirety of the Sphinx was finally dug out in 1925, to the great pleasure of its numerous visitors.
There are no inscriptions on, or in the Sphinx to indicate who built it.
The true origin and purpose of the Sphinx remains a mystery, and it is perhaps a puzzle which will never be fully solved. Despite its fundamental enigma, the image of the Sphinx remains in the mind of history as the keystone of ancient Egyptian civilization and a part of its religious beliefs.
The one-meter-wide nose on the face is missing. It has long been presumed that the nose was broken off by a cannon ball fired by Napoleon’s soldiers. However, sketches of the Sphinx by Frederick Lewis Norden made in 1737 and published in 1755 illustrate the Sphinx without a nose.
The Egyptian historian al-Maqrizi, writing in the fifteenth century, attributes the vandalism to Muhammad Sa’im al-Dahr, a Sufi fanatic from the khanqah of Sa’id al-Su’ada. In 1378, upon finding the Egyptian peasants making offerings to the Sphinx in the hope of increasing their harvest, Sa’im al-Dahr was so outraged that he destroyed the nose. Al-Maqrizi describes the Sphinx as the “Nile talisman” on which the locals believed the cycle of inundation depended.
In addition to the lost nose, a ceremonial pharaonic beard is thought to have been attached, although this may have been added in later periods after the original construction. Egyptologist Rainer Stadelmann has posited that the rounded divine beard may not have existed in the Old or Middle Kingdoms, only being conceived of in the New Kingdom to identify the Sphinx with the god Horemakhet.
This may also relate to the later fashion of pharaohs, which was to wear a plaited beard of authority – a false beard (chin straps are actually visible on some statues), since Egyptian culture mandated that men be clean shaven. Pieces of this beard are today kept in the British Museum and the Egyptian Museum.
The head of the Sphinx was altered many times by the Pharaohs therefore it is best remembered with the head of a king wearing his headdress and the body of a lion. Many believe that the original head was that of the lion and the Sphinx dates to the Age of Leo – 12,000 years ago.
Based on the current head, many researchers have concluded that the Sphinx was built by the Pharaoh Khafre – Chephren in the 4th Dynasty around 2500 BC. (current theories suggest that he most likely he re-carved the sphinx, or partly restored it)
Interestingly the features of the face of the Sphinx bear a far more striking resemblance to an older brother of Khafre, the Pharaoh Djedefre – Radjedef. (Head is disproportionate to the body, which may indicated that the head was larger at one time considering the erosion rate of the limestone and enclosure over many thousands of years – thus Khafre, or another may have restored or re-carved the sphinx)
In 1996, a NY detective and expert in identification, took various measurements of the size, angles and proportions of the head and concluded that it did not match known representations of Khafre’s face.
See the Mystery of the Sphinx: John Anthony West, Robert Schoch as to the impact they have had on the dating of the Sphinx.
Djedefre’s short lived reign occurred just prior to the reign of Khafre. Unlike Khafre, Khafre’s father, and later Khafre’s brother Menkara, Djedefre did not construct his pyramid on the Giza plateau. Instead Djedefre built his pyramid at Abu Roash where it now lies badly damaged.
The sphinx has been repaired many times due to erosion by water and wind. Some people believe that the Sphinx was painted and was quite colorful. Since then, the nose and beard have been broken away.
A piece of the original beard
The nose was the unfortunate victim of target practice by the Turks in the Turkish period. It is often erroneously assumed that the nose was shot off by Napoleon’s men, but 18th century drawings reveal that the nose was missing long before Napoleon’s arrival. Traces of the original paint can still be seen only near one ear.
In 1905 the sand was cleared away to expose the full body of the Sphinx. It is thought that the head has been replaced by several different heads – the original the head of a feline cat. ( see Richard Hoagland and his analysis of the Cydonia face on Mars and it’s connection to the sphinx)
The most recent period of restoration began in 2006. The cement which had been used in earlier attempts at restoration was now found to be causing problems. The statue is mostly constructed of porous limestone, which allows the passage of air. Because cement is non-porous and rigid, changes in the basic proportions of the statue were found to be occurring.
Ethnicity of the Face of the Sphinx
Over the years, casual observers, as well as at least one forensic expert have characterized the face of the Sphinx as “of African descent”. One of the earliest known descriptions of an “African” Sphinx is recorded in the travel notes of French scholar Constantin-François de Chassebluf, Comte de Volney, who visited in Egypt between 1783 and 1785. Volney described it as “typically Negro in all its features.” Likewise, French novelist Gustave Flaubert traveled to Egypt in 1849 and recorded the following observation:
• We stop before a Sphinx; it fixes us with a terrifying stare. Its eyes still seem full of life; the left side is stained white by bird-droppings (the tip of the Pyramid of Chephren has the same long white stains); it exactly faces the rising sun, its head is grey, ears very large and protruding, its neck is eroded; from the front it is seen in its entirety thanks to great hollow dug in the sand; the missing nose increases the effect. Besides, it was certainly Ethiopian; the lips are thick.
In 1992, the New York Times published an article reporting the findings of Frank Domingo, a senior forensics artist with the New York City Police Department who had traveled to Egypt to take exact measurements of the Sphinx’s head. Domingo, credited with convening the first national gathering of forensic artists almost ten years earlier, generated a model of the head of the Sphinx both by hand and utilizing computer graphics, and determined that the Sphinx represented a person other than Khafre. Robert M. Schoch of Boston University, (a geologist), further suggests that the face has “a distinctive ‘African,’ ‘Nubian,’ or ‘Negroid’ aspect which is lacking in the face of Khafra.”
The New York Times subsequently published a letter to the editor submitted by Sheldon Peck, who concurred with Domingo:
• The analytical techniques of Detective Frank Domingo used on facial photographs are not unlike methods surgeons use to study facial disfigurements. From the right lateral tracing of the statue’s worn profile a pattern of bimaxilliary prognathism is clearly detectable. This is an anatomical condition of forward development in both jaws, more frequently found in people of African ancestry than in those from Asian or Indo-European stock.
The paws are 50 feet long (15m) while the entire length is 150 feet (45m). The head is 30 (10m) feet long and 14 feet (4m) wide. It is 200 feet long and 65 feet high.
The Sphinx has a tail which wraps around the right hind paw. The paw has been restored in recent years.
The Sphinx has a breast plate between its front paws.
In the New Kingdom, the Sphinx became a symbol of kingship and many kings of this period built temples and stelae (Sphinx Breastplate tablets bearing inscriptions) in the area surrounding the statue. Amenhotep II built a mud-brick temple to the north-east of the Sphinx, and Rameses II, one of the ancient kingdom’s most prolific builders, constructed an altar of granite between its paws. Ancient tablets also show images of worshippers presenting burnt offerings to the Sphinx. (What about the “Inventory Stelae” which is not mentioned here and refers to the sphinx as predating Kafre’s era)
There are many metaphors on the breastplate that following the formula for creation – separation in the physical – to ascension or resurrection of consciousness in the alchemy of time. The lions images, for example, facing in separate directions represent duality in the electromagnetic grids that form our consciousness experience.
In the New Kingdom, the Sphinx became a symbol of kingship and many kings of this period built temples and stelae (upright stone tablets bearing inscriptions) in the area surrounding the statue. Amenhotep II built a mud-brick temple to the north-east of the Sphinx, and Rameses II, one of the ancient kingdom’s most prolific builders, constructed an altar of granite between its paws. Ancient tablets also show images of worshippers presenting burnt offerings to the Sphinx.
Schematics, Tunnels, and Chambers
Side doors lead to underground passageways.
Underground passageways and chambers in front and rear
Two passages were found in 1978 – one behind the head of the Sphinx and another on the tail. Far from leading to the Pyramids, however, these tunnels merely led downwards under the monument and were made during the past century by treasure-hunters.
During the past two centuries many have come to study and excavate the monument. These include French scholars accompanying Napoleon’s army in 1798, Caviglia in 1816, H. Vyse in 1840, Mariette in 1853, Kamal and Daressy in 1909 and Baraize in 1926. It was Baraize who first began restoration work, by renovating the head using cement, and clearing the sand completely around the Sphinx.
Restoring the paws
Another problem is caused by the rising water table, which evaporates, leaving salts behind. These salts react with the limestone, causing it to become powdery and to crumble. Pollution from the nearby city of Cairo, together with heat, wind, sand and humidity are all agents in the monument’s slow process of disintegration.
In 1982, stones were lost from the north paw and in 1988 a large stone fell from the Sphinx’s shoulder. From 1989 onwards, the restoration project entered a more enlightened phase, with more thought being given to the monument’s long-term preservation in its original form.
The restoration project was planned in three stages: first, to restore the southern side, next the northern side and the chest and lastly, to protect the whole monument from the ravages of the elements.
The large old stones and cement were removed from the southern side and replaced with new stones from a quarry at Helwan, which contains rock consistent with the limestone of the original structure. Mortar made of lime and sand replaced the cement as a fixative, and the chest was protected by a limestone course.
The Institute of Astronomy and Geophysics at Helwan conducted important studies on the level of the water table, and this has been found to be seven meters below the base of the monument. An electronic weather station nearby at the Getty Institute now records wind, heat and humidity, and a study of the bedrock under the Sphinx has been undertaken by the Engineering Faculty at Cairo University.
Enclosure Wall Found
Newly Discovered Walls Buffered Sphinx from Egypt’s Sand
Live Science – November 3, 2010
A routine excavation has uncovered ancient walls surrounding the Great Sphinx of Giza, Egypt’s Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA) announced. The walls were likely built to protect the Sphinx from blowing sand, said SCA Secretary-General Zahi Hawass, who is overseeing the excavation.
During routine digging, SCA researchers found two segments of mud wall on the Giza Plateau, where the pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx stand. Both walls stand just under 3 feet (1 meter). One runs north-south and is 282 feet (86 meters) long, while the other runs east-west and is 151 feet (46 m) long. The walls are part of a larger enclosure previously found north of the Sphinx. As told in ancient Egyptian texts, King Thutmose IV once went on a hunting trip near the Sphinx.
After the trip, he dreamt that the Sphinx wanted him to clear the sand surrounding its body. According to Thutmose, the Sphinx promised that if he restored the statue, he’d become king of Egypt. So Thutmose had the sand cleared and built a wall to preserve the Sphinx. Until now, researchers thought the wall was only built on the northern side of the Sphinx. The new finding disproves that theory.
The researchers also found a third wall to the east of the temple of King Khafre, the (alleged) builder of the second-largest pyramid in Giza and the likely (alleged) builder of the Sphinx. According to Hawass, the wall may be part of the settlement that grew up around King Khafre’s pyramid after the monarch’s death around 2532 B.C. In this village, priests and officials oversaw the mortuary cult of the dead king.
Khafre’s mortuary cult remained strong until the end of Egypt’s Old Kingdom around 2143 to 2134 B.C. After that, initial excavations suggest the village was abandoned, said Essam Shehab, the supervisor of the Khafre’s valley temple excavation. Excavations continue on the Thutmose IV enclosure wall, according to the SCA. The archeologists are keeping an eye out for other secrets still hidden in the sand.
See John Anthony West and Dr. Robert Schoch’s theories on the Geological dating of the sphinx discussed in the documentary “The mystery of the sphinx”. Evidence is submitted that the Sphinx is much, much older than conventional theories that is based on the geological evidence of water erosion on the sphinx enclosure and the sphinx itself. The theory suggests that the dating could be up to 10,500 years old, (approximately 7000 years older than previously thought), and possible even older when the last ice age occurred and resulted in torrential rains/floods that has eroded the sphinx enclosure and predates the formation of the Sahara desert when the climate changed in north Africa after the ice age ended.
here we see a image of the sphinx temple , notice the whole in the bedrock in the middle of the photo.
Here is another view of that “hole” what you are viewing is a 100 ton granite block that has been carted up from aswan and sunk into the bedrock .
This piece of granite goes under the wall of the sphinx temple , so it was laid into the bedrock before the temple was constructed .
You must be logged in to post a comment.